Sun, May 19|
Concord USI Range
Introduction To Competition Shooting
Do you have basic fundamentals down? Looking to level up your skills? Then come out to our all new Intro To Competition class!!! Learn how to be safe on the range while moving and shooting quickly!
Time & Location
May 19, 2024, 12:30 PM – 5:00 PM
Concord USI Range, 4700 Evora Rd, Concord, CA 94520, USA
About the event
Competition shooting is one of the best and most cost effective ways for civilians to become proficient with their pistol, rifle, and even shotgun. Competition will teach you to move quickly while shooting, learn fast reloads, and solve malfuntions. Most importantly, you will learn to be safe while shooting fast.
This class will focus on pistol competition. Students will need a modern stricker fired or hammer fired pistol (no revolvers), approx. 200 rounds of ammo, a holster that holds the gun at waist height ( no Serpa holsters, thigh straps, or leather holsters), a competition belt that has an inner and outer portions, and at least 2 magazine holders. See the links below.
Course Overview:This course is designed to introduce participants to the exciting world of competitive shooting. Whether you're a novice or an experienced shooter looking to venture into the competitive scene, this course will cover the fundamental skills, rules, and strategies essential for success in various shooting disciplines. Participants will gain hands-on experience and practical knowledge through a combination of lecture and range sessions.
Introduction to Competitive Shooting
- Overview of competitive shooting disciplines (e.g., IPSC, USPSA, IDPA).
- Understanding the different types of firearms used in competition.
- Introduction to range safety rules and etiquette.
Firearm Basics for Competition
- Review of firearm safety principles.
- Selection and customization of firearms for competition.
- Proper handling and manipulation of competition firearms.
Match Etiquette and Rules
- Understanding match rules and regulations.
- Range commands and communication during a match.
- Sportsmanship and etiquette on the competition circuit.
Mental Preparation and Focus
- Developing a pre-match routine.
- Overcoming performance anxiety.
- Maintaining focus and concentration during competition.
- Refining sight picture and sight alignment.
- Trigger control and reset techniques.
- Recoil management for faster follow-up shots.
Shooting Positions and Movement
- Introduction to various shooting positions used in competition.
- Dynamic movement techniques on the range.
- Engaging targets from multiple positions.
- Speed and tactical reloading for different types of firearms.
- Importance of efficient reloads in competition.
- Dry-fire drills to enhance reloading skills.
Introduction to Competitive Courses of Fire
- Understanding stage design and layout.
- Strategies for tackling different stages.
- Time management and planning for success.
Equipment and Gear
- Overview of essential competition gear (holsters, belts, mag pouches).
- Proper maintenance of competition equipment.
- Budget-friendly options for newcomers.
Live-Fire Practical Exercises and Mock Matches
- Applying learned skills in live-fire scenarios.
- Simulated matches to practice course strategies.
- Individualized feedback and improvement plans.
Note:Participants are encouraged to bring their own firearms and equipment to the range sessions. However, rentals may be available for those without their own gear. Safety is paramount, and all participants must adhere to range rules and regulations. This course provides a solid foundation for those interested in pursuing competitive shooting as a hobby or sport.
You can use a pistol with a red dot or with iron sights.
Wear shoes comfortable to run in as well as clothes you don't mind getting a little dirty. No tank tops or open toed shoes.
Class will consist of learning safety procedudures and rules of competition. Then we'll move on to drawing and shooting at a variety of targets. You will then get the chance to shoot on a USPSA style "stage". (In competition shooting the course you move through is reffered to as a stage).
Bottled water will be provided. Please bring your own snacks.
Come out and try something new, meet some competition shooters, and most of all have fun!
Links For Gear
Please email or call us with any questions you may have!
- Ticket type
Intro To CompetitionPrice$80.00
+$2.00 service fee+$2.00 service fee